Published on October 27th, 2012 | by Andrea Bertoli0
Vegan Apple Cake!
From a September cooking class devoted entirely to cakes to live for, this Apple Crunch Coffee Cake was my favorite (and I think it was the favorite of the students too!). This recipe includes some of my favorite ingredients: flavorful coconut oil, spicy cinnamon, almonds for crunch and fresh apples which get creamy inside the cake- it all comes together nicely to make a lovely little afternoon snack. It’s a bit too sweet for breakfast, but I also understand that sometimes it’s THAT kind of morning and cake is just what you need. Enjoy this lovely cake with spiced coffee or black tea.
Apple Crunch Coffee Cake
For the Apple Crunch Topping:
½ cup packed dark brown sugar
1 cup finely chopped tart apples
1 cup sliced almonds
¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
5 Tablespoons liquid coconut oil
For the Apple Cake:
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup liquid coconut oil
½ cup turbinado sugar
2 Tablespoons egg replacer powder
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
¾ cup apple juice
⅓ cup coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly grease a (9-inch) Springform pan with coconut oil.
- To make the Apple Crunch Topping: In a large bowl mix together brown sugar, apples, almonds, flour, and cinnamon. Toss to combine. Drizzle with coconut oil and toss to coat. Set aside.
- To make the Apple Cake: In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir together and set aside.
- In another large bowl whisk coconut oil, sugar, egg replacer powder, and vanilla extract. When sugar has dissolved add apple juice and coconut milk.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir briskly but briefly until batter is smooth.
- Pour half the batter into cake pan, and top with half of the Apple Crunch Topping. Spoon the rest of the cake batter on top and smooth gently. Bake for 70-75 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove sides from pan. Let cool completely before cutting.
Yield: 10-12 servings cake