I am loving this gingerbread!
For years I made an old Joy of Cooking recipe, but last year I made the effort to veganize the recipe and you will be so glad I did! Instead of eggs this recipe uses pumpkin puree and agave, and instead of white flour I threw in some whole wheat, and added wholesome coconut oil and and lots of spice. Oh yes, and lots of frosting! I made two batches already, one with ginger-chocolate ganache and another with a molasses spice frosting. My work friends were the official taste-testers, all of whom gave it rave reviews and devoured both batches!
Homemade Vegan Gingerbread Cake
1 tbsp ground flaxseeds + 1 tbsp water
½ cup molasses
½ cup coffee or tea
1/3 cup coconut oil
½ cup sucanat or brown sugar
2 Tablespoons agave nectar
½ cup pumpkin puree
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2-3 teaspoons cinnamon
1-2 Tablespoons ground ginger (you decide the spiciness!)
½ teaspoon seasalt
- Preaheat the oven to 350 degrees, and prepare a 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper and/or oil.
- In a small bowl, whisk the ground flaxseeds with the water and set aside.
- In another, larger bowl mix the coffee, molasses, oil, sucanat, pumpkin. combine until smooth, then add in the flax mixture and mix again.
- In a larger bowl mix the flours, baking soda, seasalt, spices and toss well, then add into the liquid ingredients. Toss in the ground nuts, and combine gently until no flour clumps remain. Pour into your prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, checking with a toothpick at 25 minutes. Cool on racks before frosting.
ginger chocolate ganache
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup cacao nibs
- Heat the coconut milk in a saucepan until warm, then add the chocolate, stirring constantly until melted. Stir in the cinnamon; the ganache should be smooth and creamy. Let cool for 10 minutes before drizzling onto the cake. Toss the ground ginger with the cacao nibs and sprinkle onto the top of the frosting.
molasses spice frosting
1/4 cup earth balance, at room temperature
1-2 Tablespoons coconut milk or soymilk
1 Tablespoons molasses
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 cup ground toasted pecans
- Whip the earth balance, coconut milk and molasses until fluffy. Add the spices and powdered sugar in increments, whipping until well blended. Spread onto cooled gingerbread, and sprinkle with toasted nuts and more cinnamon.
Important Media Network!