How to Make a Vegan Pot Pie
Ever wondered how to make a vegan pot pie? This classic comfort food is great for Thanksgiving or a cozy meal anytime of the year, and here’s how to do it easily and deliciously!
Here’s some backstory for this awesome meal: every year a good friend hosts her annual ‘Orphan Thanksgiving-‘ a holiday gathering for those of us without family on the island or for those looking to share food with an adopted family of friends. This is a food-loving crowd, and any dinner party always reflects a diversity of tastes and eating styles. This year we were treated to homemade Whiskey Cake, mashed potatoes, my friend’s homemade stuffing, grilled and roasted squashes of all kinds, homemade ravioli, many types of pie, and lots of delicious libations. The boyfriend and I shared some Root Vegetable & Kale Salad– click here to watch our video about how to make it!
But my favorite food of the evening was my friend’s Vegan Tofu Pot Pie, which is adapted from the original Farm Cookbook recipe. Here is a revised (and simplified!) version of this classic recipe, perfect for any cozy meal this season.
Vegan Tofu Pot Pie
½ cup flour (all-purpose or chickpea flour for gluten-free recipes)
½ cup nutritional yeast
¼ cup olive oil or vegan margarine
2 cups vegetable broth or water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
¼ cup olive oil, divided
1 cup diced red onion
½ cup diced celery
2 cups diced mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, green beans, peas, etc.)
2 cups cubed, extra firm tofu
2 (9-inch) prepared Pie Crusts (gluten-free or regular flour)
- To make the Golden Gravy: Heat flour in a saucepan over medium heat until browned and fragrant (about five minutes). Add nutritional yeast and oil (or margarine) and stir to combine. Cook a few minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add water/broth and soy sauce, whisking until mixture is smooth and thick. Taste, and season with salt and pepper if needed. Gravy can be made ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- To make the Filling: Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet until warm. Add onions and cook until browned. Add celery and other vegetables, cooking until soft. Transfer vegetables from skillet into a large bowl.
- Add tofu with remaining oil, and cook until just browned. Add tofu to veggies, and pour gravy atop the mixture. Stir to combine.
- Pour vegetable/tofu mixture into pie crust and smooth top. Invert second crust onto topping. Using a fork, press edges together and then poke a dozen holes into top of crust.
- Place Pie onto baking sheet and bake 30 to 40 minutes until top is lightly browned. Let cool slightly before serving.
Yield: 4-6 servings
We hope that you enjoyed a lovely holiday with your family & friends!