Published on December 13th, 2012 | by Andrea Bertoli8
snack attack: homemade vegan ‘chicken’ nuggets
Whether you are vegan, vegetarian, or omnivorous, these vegan chicken nuggets might just become your new favorite snack. Aside from being delicious, these nuggets are a great source of protein from the trio of beans, tofu, and gluten flour. The ingredient list is a little bit long, but the recipe is not challenging, and if you have little ones at home they can get their hands dirty rolling, dipping, and breading. They make for a great snack for school, work, or play.
Homemade Vegan Chicken Nuggets
1 cup cooked chickpeas
7 ounces extra firm tofu (half a block), previously frozen and thawed
¼ cup almond flour (almond meal)
2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 Tablespoon ground flaxseeds
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon each onion powder and garlic powder
⅔ cup wheat gluten flour
½ cup water
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
For the Coating:
⅓ cup ground flaxseeds
1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground pepper
½ teaspoon paprika
½ cup water or vegetable broth
½ cup Panko bread crumbs
¼ cup wheat germ
1 Tablespoon almond flour
1 teaspoon celery salt
2 Teaspoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Pulse chickpeas in food processor until coarse. Add tofu and pulse again. Turn out into a large bowl and add almond flour, flaxseeds, nutritional yeast, and spices. Mix well, then sprinkle gluten flour into mixture, tossing to combine.
- Add water and soy sauce into chickpea mixture, and use your hands to mash together, ensuring that all flour is blended into mixture.
- Measure 1 tablespoon of nugget mixture and roll into a ball in your hands, flattening slightly to make a 1½-inch nugget. Lay onto prepared baking sheet. Continue with remaining mixture.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together ground flaxseeds, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, pepper, paprika, and water/broth. Whisk until smooth and thick.
- In another bowl, toss together Panko, wheat germ, almond flour, and celery salt. Toss together, and then drizzle oil, tossing quickly to coat crumbs with oil.
- Use one hand to dredge nugget into flax mixture, then toss into crumb mixture until coated on both sides. Remove using opposite hand, and layer onto baking sheet.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove cover, and bake for 20 minutes more, flipping halfway. Coating should be crispy and browned. Let cool slightly before dipping!
Yield: approximately 20 nuggets