Published on December 13th, 2012 | by Andrea Bertoli7
snack attack: homemade vegan ‘chicken’ nuggets
Whether you are vegan, vegetarian, or omnivorous, these vegan chicken nuggets might just become your new favorite snack. Aside from being delicious, these nuggets are a great source of protein from the trio of beans, tofu, and gluten flour. The ingredient list is a little bit long, but the recipe is not challenging, and if you have little ones at home they can get their hands dirty rolling, dipping, and breading. They make for a great snack for school, work, or play.
Homemade Vegan Chicken Nuggets
1 cup cooked chickpeas
7 ounces extra firm tofu (half a block), previously frozen and thawed
¼ cup almond flour (almond meal)
2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 Tablespoon ground flaxseeds
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon each onion powder and garlic powder
⅔ cup wheat gluten flour
½ cup water
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
For the Coating:
⅓ cup ground flaxseeds
1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground pepper
½ teaspoon paprika
½ cup water or vegetable broth
½ cup Panko bread crumbs
¼ cup wheat germ
1 Tablespoon almond flour
1 teaspoon celery salt
2 Teaspoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Pulse chickpeas in food processor until coarse. Add tofu and pulse again. Turn out into a large bowl and add almond flour, flaxseeds, nutritional yeast, and spices. Mix well, then sprinkle gluten flour into mixture, tossing to combine.
- Add water and soy sauce into chickpea mixture, and use your hands to mash together, ensuring that all flour is blended into mixture.
- Measure 1 tablespoon of nugget mixture and roll into a ball in your hands, flattening slightly to make a 1½-inch nugget. Lay onto prepared baking sheet. Continue with remaining mixture.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together ground flaxseeds, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, pepper, paprika, and water/broth. Whisk until smooth and thick.
- In another bowl, toss together Panko, wheat germ, almond flour, and celery salt. Toss together, and then drizzle oil, tossing quickly to coat crumbs with oil.
- Use one hand to dredge nugget into flax mixture, then toss into crumb mixture until coated on both sides. Remove using opposite hand, and layer onto baking sheet.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove cover, and bake for 20 minutes more, flipping halfway. Coating should be crispy and browned. Let cool slightly before dipping!