Those smart people behind Tofurky have created these incredible Superburgers which are only sold at my local all-vegetarian deli. The Superburgers are made from tempeh and mixed with some grains and then marinated- the end result is juicy, flavorful, and hearty. They are not available in stores, nor is there information on their site… but I swear, they exist- and they are incredible! They have served me well for quick dinners on those I-don’t-feel-like-cooking nights!
But finally I got around the making my own Superburgers at home. The basic recipe: cut a whole block of tempeh into four pieces, cook until just browned, then add a magical mixture of garlic, ginger, miso, and water, then steam until soft. Serve the burgers on buns with all your favorite toppings: here sharp cheddar cheese, sauteed kale, and dijon mustard, with corn and cucumbers on the side.
Ginger Tempeh Burgers
1-2 Tbsp peanut oil
1 block tempeh, cut into four squares
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 Tbsp dark miso
1 inch piece ginger, sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
1/2 cup water
buns and fixins for your burger
- In a medium-sized skillet, heat the oil and grill the tempeh and onions until just browned. Lower heat.
- Mix together the miso, ginger, garlic, and water until miso has dissolved. Add to tempeh and simmer until tempeh is very soft and almost doubled in size, about 15 minutes. Add more water to ensure a nice, flavorful gravy, just enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Let tempeh cool, then build your burgers! Enjoy!
This makes enough for four burgers… or two burgers tonight and wicked good leftovers tomorrow!
What interests You?
- Fitness (10)
- Yoga (8)
- Food News (55)
- Green Living (6)
- Homesteading (3)
- Natural Health & Healing (45)
- Notes from the Kitchen (37)
- Recipes (157)
- Reviews (20)
- Uncategorized (2)
- Videos (1)
- Fitness (10)
Important Media Network!