Spiced Pumpkin Bread Recipe: For Sweets all Season Long!
Regardless of where we are in the calendar year, you can experience a little bit of the holidays with this Spiced Pumpkin Bread recipe. It’s good for Thanksgiving breakfast, Christmas eve dessert or New Year’s Hangover Day. The warming spices and pumpkin are good in any season, and it’s easy to whip up so you can make it anytime you have a hankering for a little sweet treat.
These were dying to be named ‘Christmas in your Mouth,’ but my girl Hee has already bestowed that name on her yummy ginger cookies. So we have Spiced Pumpkin Bread- kinda boring name, but amazing flavor: highlights of cardamom, a hint of cinnamon, dark muscavado sugar, and some sweetness from pumpkin and apple.
Muscavado is very dark brown sugar that is molasses-y awesome, but if you can’t find Muscavado, just use the darkest brown sugar you can get your hands on- and don’t forget to sprinkle it on top! Makes 2 or 3 small loaves; if making two they will be big and puffy, if making three they will be a bit smaller but still loveable and gift-able!
Sweet & Spicy Holiday Loaves
2 cups whole grain spelt flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1½ teaspoons ground cardamom
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¾ cup pumpkin puree
½ cup packed dark brown sugar + extra for sprinkles
⅓ cup brewed tea
¼ cup apple butter
¼ cup liquid coconut oil
1 Tablespoon molasses
1 Tablespoon ground flaxseeds
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
½ cup raisins or Zante currants (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 º. Grease 2 small (six-inch) loaf pans.
- In a large bowl mix the spelt flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In another larger bowl whisk together pumpkin, brown sugar, tea, apple butter, coconut oil, molasses, flaxseeds, and vinegar until smooth.
- Gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet and stir a few times. Add the raisins, and stir a few more turns until no dry spots are left.
- Measure batter evenly into prepared pans. Sprinkle brown sugar onto top of each loaf.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. Let cool completely in pans before turning out onto cooling racks.
- Serve warm with butter, apple butter, or orange marmalade! Enjoy!
Yield: 12 – 16 slices
Notes: This recipe will also make 12 muffins. Bake for only 23-25 minutes.