Published on April 27th, 2013 | by Andrea Bertoli1
How to Use Essential Oils for Natural Healing
Plants have amazing beneficial properties when we eat them, but you can also use plants in their essential oil form for natural healing and aromatheraputic benefits. Essential oils are are fragrant compounds derived from plants, herbs, bark, and roots that contain beneficial (medicinal) properties and concentrated fragrance that can help our bodies in multiple ways.
If you are interested in learning more about how to use essential oils and want to start using them, check out our sister site Green Living Ideas. You can enter to win a Plant Therapy essential oil starter kit (featuring a mix of six organic essential oils or blends, a carrier oil, and The Essential Oils Handbook: All the Oils You Will Ever Need for Health, Vitality and Well-Being. This is a super awesome giveaway, so head over there and enter NOW!
There are so many ways to use essential oil. In the list below you can certainly find some good reasons to begin using essential oils yourself!
- Blend a few essential oils together to make a simple perfume (my favorites are vanilla and patchouli, for an irresistible earthy sweet scent)
- Add essential oils to unscented lotions or liquid soaps (my favorite is geranium oil in my laundry soap or in my Dr. Bronners)
- Make your own homemade body care, like homemade anti-fungal foot spray.
- Make your own homemade lip balm with your favorite flavors (vanilla, lemon, orange, mint, etc.)
- Make your own cleaning products (think lemon, eucalyptus, and pine for cleaning power)
- Use in a diffuser to spread delicious and calming scent throughout your home
- Though most companies do not recommend using essential oils internally, I’ve found that it is possible to use very safe oils like peppermint, lavender, and citrus for gargles, as extracts for cooking, or in tisanes (here’s a general rule: if you wouldn’t normally eat it, then you probably shouldn’t take the oil internally. So please don’t drink eucalyptus oil, unless you are a koala bear).
- Add essential oils to your homemade body scrub.
- Make your own lotion by adding a few drops of essential oil with some shea butter or coconut oil and use as a body lotion.
- Sprinkle a few fragrant drops of a calming essential oil like lavender or rose onto your pillow for a peaceful night’s sleep.
- Sprinkle a few drops of oil onto a small scrap of material and keep in drawers to keep clothes smelling fresh. This works especialy well in linen closets, shoe closets, and anywhere else you want to keep thing smelling fresh (like some leftover athletic equipment or dorm supplies perhaps?)
- To make an easy room spray, mix together your favorite essential oils, some rubbing alcohol, and spray to your heart’s content!
- For more incredible ways to use essential oils, check out Plant Therapy’s Essential Oil blogging site to learn how to make homemade toothpaste, calming finger paint for the kiddies, and homemade bathroom cleaner.
Pretty amazing stuff right? If you are interested in learning more about essential oils and winning your own essential oil starter kit, head over to Green Living Ideas and enter. Contest ends midnight Hawaii-time on May 1, 2013. Good luck!
This post was supported by OCM.com, where you can find deals on dorm supplies!