Published on May 18th, 2013 | by Andrea Bertoli1
How to Make Vegan Tiramisu!
This Vegan Tiramisu is a healthy, vegan version of the classic Italian dessert. This recipe has a lot of steps, but it’s worth all the time spent, especially if you have someone(s) special you would like to impress or a fancy vegan dinner party to attend. It’s best on the first few days; after awhile it becomes a soggy mess. But when it’s good, it’s very, very good!
Here are some notes: If you don’t drink coffee, substitute an herbal coffee like Teeccino or black tea. Make the recipe in a square baking dish or tart pan; don’t use a springform pan unless you know for sure that it is watertight– you don’t want to lose all that coffee! And finally, this recipe has been on my to-do list for a long time, inspired by the recipe from the vegan blog, Seitan is my Motor.
3 Tablespoons chickpea flour
½ cup hot water + 2 Tablespoons
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon coconut oil + 2 Tablespoons
¾ cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
⅓ cup cornstarch
1 cup raw cashews, soaked one hour and drained
2½ cups vanilla soy yogurt
3 Tablespoons coconut flour
1¼ cups powdered sugar
½ cup coconut oil
1 cup strongly brewed coffee (French pressed is best), or herbal coffee
2 Tablespoons coffee liquor (like Kahlua) or rum (or use more coffee)
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon almond extract
1-2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400º. Line a 7”x11” inch baking dish with parchment paper. Lightly grease sides with oil.
- To prepare Layer Cake: In a large bowl add chickpea flour, ½ cup hot water, sugar, and 2 Tablespoons oil. Whisk briskly. Stir in flour, baking powder, and cornstarch until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Remove parchment paper.
- To prepare Crème Filling: In a food processor, grind cashews until fine. Add yogurt, coconut flour, sugar, and coconut oil and process again until smooth.
- To prepare Coffee Mixture: In a small bowl whisk together coffee, espresso, vanilla, and almond extract.
- When cake has fully cooled, slice cake into two layers using a serrated knife (easier if you quarter the cake first– don’t worry too much about evenness since you will be cutting it soon anyway). Place bottom layer of cake back into baking pan. Pour half of Coffee Mixture over to soak the cake. Pour half of Crème Filling onto cake and smooth out with a spatula. Sift cocoa powder on top. Cover with top cake layer, and repeat with remaining Coffee Mixture, Crème Filling and then sprinkle more cocoa powder on top. Refrigerate for several hours up to overnight. Serve with coffee or tea. Enjoy!
- Another note: the Tiramisu in the photo is three layers, a result of two cooking classes and lots of leftovers!
Yield: 8-12 Servings