Quick Meals: Summer Rolls with Spicy Almond Sauce
You might never want to eat Summer rolls at a Thai restaurant again– these Summer Rolls with Spicy Almond Sauce are so easy and delicious (and cheap!) that they might just be your favorite meal for the warm summer months. Use whatever fresh greens and veggies are available seasonally, and make the sauce with whichever nut butter is your favorite. This recipe would work with peanut, cashew or tahini, although the almond won over many of my friends!
Summer Rolls with Spicy Almond Sauce
½ cup natural almond butter
¼ cup fresh lime juice
1-2 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
1 Tablespoon chili sauce (or ½ teaspoon chili flakes)
Water, as needed
1 head lettuce, washed and dried
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cucumber, seeded and sliced into thin strips
1 (7-ounce) package marinated tempeh (optional)
Fresh cilantro sprigs
Fresh mint sprigs
1 (12-ounce) package rice paper wrappers
A large bowl filled with very hot water
- To prepare the Spicy Almond Sauce: Whisk together almond butter, lime juice, honey, soy sauce, and hot sauce. Add water to make a thin, smooth sauce. Taste, and adjust salty, sweet, and sour flavors to taste. Set aside.
- To make the wraps: set up a work surface (such as a cutting board) on table or countertop. Arrange all vegetables in small bowls. Fill the large bowl with very hot water.
- Dip each rice paper into hot water for 10 seconds then lay onto work surface. Layer one slice cooked tempeh, lettuce leaves, carrots, cucumber and herbs as desired. Fold in edges and roll tightly- it might take some practice to get them perfect!
- Roll as many wraps as you want to eat; save remaining rice paper wrappers in a resealable bag.
- Serve wraps with Spicy Almond Sauce and enjoy immediately!
Note: Summer Rolls do not work well as leftovers, but since they are so quick to make, simple double the amount of veggies and make fresh rolls again tomorrow!
Yield: 2-4 servings