Published on June 14th, 2013 | by Andrea Bertoli1
Easy Homemade Vegan Scones: Macadamia Nut & Strawberry Scones
I’ve been making these homemade vegan scones for years, but this version with mac nuts and strawberries is easily the most delicious. Using fun ingredients like coconut oil, agave, and spelt flour (my favorite), these scones are made quickly for nearly instant gratification. I’ve also made blueberry, lemon, dates, raspberries, and chocolate. So let your fruit and nut imagination run wild with these sweet little treats.
Macadamia Nut & Berry Scones
2 cups whole spelt flour
½ cup fine oat bran
½ cup ground toasted macadamia nuts
1 Tablespoon baking powder
Pinch sea salt
⅓ cup liquid coconut oil
⅓ cup agave + ¼ cup for drizzle
¼ cup brewed tea
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup berries, chopped if necessary
- Preheat oven to 350° and line your cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix the spelt flour, oat bran, nuts, baking powder and sea salt.
- Measure the oil, ⅓ cup agave, tea, and vanilla into a small bowl and mix to combine. Add the liquids into the dry ingredients, and stir gently. Add the berries and stir to just combine; a few dry spots are okay.
- Scoop out ¼ cup batter into your hands, gently press flat, and then lay on the cookie sheets, leaving about 2 inches between the dough. Bake for 15 minutes.
- As soon as you remove the scones from the oven, drizzle with the remaining ¼ cup agave. Let stand on the cookie sheet for about 10 minutes, and then move to cooling racks.
- These stay good for a few days at room temperature, and they freeze very well.
Makes 10-12 scones.