Quick Snacks: Healthy Banana Date Cakes Recipe (gf + vegan)
These quick snacks are simple and delicious, and it’s good for everyone, because it’s gluten-free and vegan. Bananas and dates offer natural sweetness, and oats and almonds and hempseeds offer a boost of whole-grainy nutrition. And it’s totally yummy… did I say that already?
For a sweeter version of this recipe, check out my post for these Banana Chocolate Cookies, from which this recipe was adapted!
Gluten-Free Banana Date Cakes
1½ cups mashed, very ripe bananas
½ cup natural almond butter
¼ cup coconut milk (or other non-dairy milk)
¼ cup coconut oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups rolled oats (use gluten-free oats if needed)
⅔ cup almond meal (almond flour)
⅓ cup shredded coconut
⅓ cup hempseeds
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¾ – 1 cup chopped dates
- Preheat oven to 350º and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine bananas, almond butter, coconut milk, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth, and then set aside. Alternatively, blend in a food processor.
- In another bowl whisk together oats, almond meal, coconut, hempseeds, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in the chopped dates.
- Use a ¼ cup measure to scoop out batter. Press into small, round cakes and lay gently onto baking sheet. Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until tops and edges are golden. Cool on racks. Keeps for a few days in the fridge; leftovers can also be frozen.
Yield: About 16 cakes