Published on December 4th, 2013 | by Andrea Bertoli4
Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Cookie Recipe
This awesome vegan chocolate peppermint cookie recipe is so so so good! The combination of deep dark chocolate and bright shiny peppermint makes these my favorite holiday cookies. These are good for your office parties, potlucks and cozy nights at home with holiday films.
These cookies can be made with all-purpose (wheat) flour or with a combo of all-purpose and whole wheat pastry flour; or you can substitute with all-purpose gluten-free flour too! I used Bob’s Red Mill and added 1/4 teaspoon guar gum as recommended on the Bob’s package. And finally, be sure not to overbake these little gems. Bake for 10 minute and let them firm up before digging in. Enjoy the sweetness.
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
½ cup plant-based milk
5 teaspoons ground flaxseeds
¾ cup liquified coconut oil
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons peppermint extract (or 10 drops peppermint essential oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (or 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour)
¾ cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix the milk and flaxseeds in a small bowl and whisk well; set aside.
- Mix oil, sugar, peppermint and vanilla until smooth. Add to flax mixture and whisk to combine.
- In another bowl mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet in batches, and mix until mostly combined, then add in the chocolate chips (I often have to mix with my hands because the dough gets very stiff).
- Roll into 1-inch balls, and flatten on the prepared cookie sheet (or use a small cookie scoop). Bake for 10-11 minutes, and let cool on the sheet for another five minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool. These will firm up significantly after a few hours. Makes 3 dozen cookies.
Cheers! Share homemade goodness this season (and always).