Published on February 10th, 2014 | by Andrea Bertoli2
Easy Quinoa Recipes: Vegetable Quinoa Pilaf
This is one of the best easy quinoa recipes: simply toss together your favorite veggies with quinoa and some flavorings and dinner is done!
This is, hands down, my new favorite weeknight recipe.
Quinoa Pilaf is easy, tasty and super healthy. Better yet, it’s infinitely adaptable to whatever you might have in your fridge or pantry. This is one of the best easy quinoa recipes because it takes just 20 minutes to make, and if you double it you can easily have food for the whole week!
This recipe below is just one version of quinoa pilaf that we make around our house. This one features kabocha and butternut squashes which have been hanging out in our house for a week now, along with carrots, onions and some kale added at the very end for greenery. Chop your vegetables small (about a 1-cm dice) to be sure they will cook in the allotted time. Try broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, red peppers and more. Enjoy plain or toss with a little bit of nutritional yeast, ghee or your favorite dressing. Serve with a salad or soup, or use in wraps and enjoy for quick lunches. And here’s another spiced bean and quinoa pilaf that I wrote about for Green UPGRADER.
Easy Quinoa Pilaf Recipe
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 3 1/2 cups water
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup finely diced squash
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 1 teaspoon garlic flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped kale
- Place quinoa and water in a medium saucepan along with a pinch of salt. Add remaining ingredients (except kale) and stir to combine.
- Bring quinoa to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add kale to the saucepan in the last few minutes of cooking.
- Stir quinoa to incorporate kale and quinoa. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Divide into serving bowls, and garnish with extra lime or fresh herbs. Serve and enjoy! Makes about 4-6 servings.