85 Healthy Grilling Recipes for Summer
Summer is in full swing, and surely you’re looking to do some cooking outside! Here are our 85 healthy grilling recipes for summer to set you up for a season of flavorful barbeque!
Before we get to the best vegan grilling recipes, we have some tips about healthy grilling from our friends at Eat Drink Better. What about grilling might be of concern for the eco-friendly among us?
“Grilling has several appealing features besides the tasty food. Cleanup is easier. No pots and pans to wash, and since many barbecued foods are finger foods, fewer plates and utensils to wash. Cooking outdoors keeps the heat out of the kitchen, lowering air conditioning bills.
But grilling has its problems, environmentally speaking. All that heat produced at the same time and particulate matter thrown into the air can actually raise the temperatures of cities on that day. Charcoal is often produced unsustainably. Lighter fluid, instant-light charcoal briquettes (which are only partly charcoal), factory-farmed beef – all these things contribute to a less than green grilling experience.
Gas and electric grills are the greenest options, using less energy and producing fewer greenhouse gases than charcoal. But many people wouldn’t consider food grilled without the smoky flavor that charcoal provides. Try looking for eco-friendly charcoal. And skip the self-lighting briquettes. Those make the food taste like it’s also self-lighting.
But now onto the recipes. We’ve gathered 85 healthy grilling recipes to make sure that no matter what ingredients you have at home, you can put it on the grill! We’ve got sauces, grilled veggies, plant-based burgers and so much more– some stuff I didn’t even know you could put on a grill! I’m looking at you, cabbage and peaches! Most of the recipes are vegan, but for those recipes that call for cheese it can easily be eliminated or swapped out for a vegan cheese.
1. Smokey Barbeque Sauce: my favorite sauce for anything that comes off a grill
2. Grilled Tofu & Squash with Easy Chimichurri Sauce from One Green Planet
3. Grilled Avocado: indeed, you can grill up everyone’s favorite fruit/vegetable and serve stuffed or slather onto your favorite veggie burgers.
4. Grilled Cabbage: who knew you could grill this awesome veggie? Is there anything that cabbage can’t do?
5. One of my favorite bloggers makes a Grilled Potato Salad, from Heidi at 101 Cookbooks
7. Grilled Vegetable Salad from The Shiksa.com
8. Grilled Corn And Tomato Fettucine from HowSweetEats.com
9. Tofu & Veggie Kebobs from One Green Planet
10. Tex-Mex Grilled Sweet Corn & Tomato Salad from Mom Foodie
11. Miso Marinated Grilled Summer Squash from Oh My Veggies
15. Grilled Summer Squash Pizza from Aggie’s Kitchen
16. Caramelized Grilled Asparagus from Bell’Alimento
17. Hawaiian Teriyaki Shish Kabobs from Kitchen Treaty
18. Easy Grilled Vegetables from Gimme Some Oven
19. Creamy Grilled Artichoke Dip from Food for my Family
20. Grilled Ratatouille Pasta Salad from Two Peas and Their Pod
21. Butter Herb Grilled Summer Veggie Packets from Sarah’s Cucina Bella
22. Grilled Caprese Naan Pizza from Oh My Veggies
23. Mediterranean Couscous with Grilled Vegetables from Bev Cooks
24. Grilled Corn Avocado Salad with Smokey Paprika Vinaigrette from A Spicy Perspective
25. Maple-Grilled Tofu – Veggie burgers not your thing? How about some sweet-and-savory grilled tofu instead?
26. Veggie Skewers – Of course, you can also keep it super simple with some veggie skewers. Make it fun by adding hearty mushrooms and sweet pineapple into your skewer mix!
27. Grilled Eggplant Stacks – These are as tasty and filling as they are pretty.
28. Grilled Stone Fruits – Forget the processed desserts that usually go along with grilled food! Keep the fire going, and cook up some sweet stone fruits instead.
29. All-Star Veggie Kabobs (with an awesome marinade)
30. Vegan Black Bean Burgers from the good folks at Eat. Drink… Better.
31. Ginger tempeh burgers: made in the skillet, but simply marinate these babies and add to the grill for a smoky twist.
32. Homemade Veggie burgers from yours truly. Use the vegan cheese to keep it animal-free.
33. A grilled Potato Burger from Healthy Vegan Recipes shares a fun twist on the traditional veggie burger: a potato burger! This cooks up quick and easy and looks delicious!
34. Grilled Avocado Salsa: Add a yummy smokiness to your next batch of salsa by grilling the avocados first. Jerry James Stone has a delicious recipe for grilled avocado salsa at Cooking Stoned.
35. Grilled Romaine Lettuce and Cauliflower Steaks: um, hell yes. Watch the recipe video here.
36. Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches from Foxes Love Lemons
37. Learn how to roast Red Peppers from Kalyn’s Kitchen
38. Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with Fresh Corn and Black Beans from A Couple Cooks
39. Cold Grilled Vegetable Soup from The Healthy Foodie
40. Braised Seitan Short Ribs from One Green Planet
41. Black Quinoa with Grilled Vegetables, Basil and Feta from Healthy Green Kitchen (try our vegan feta cheese recipe)
42. Grilled Avocado Tacos from Oh Sweet Basil
43. Another great roasted Baba Gannoush recipe from Food and Wine
44. Garden Pizza with Grilled Corn, Feta and Balsamic Very Culinary
45. Simple, delicious Grilled Peaches
46. Grilled Hummus Zucchini Crostini from Sarcastic Cooking
47. Grilled Artichoke Pesto Zucchini Bites made by Fifteen Spatulas
48. Grilled Nectarines from A Cozy Kitchen
49. Grilled Eggplant Halloumi and Pesto Burgers from Veggie Belly
50. Stuffed Portabellas Stacked with Grilled Vegetables from Loaves and Dishes
51. Vegan Richa has created a slew of veggie burgers: here is her vegan burger archive.
52. She also makes homemade vegan cheese for all those veggie burgers!
53. Balsamic Grilled Vegetables from Family Fresh Cooking
54. Whole Wheat Orzo and Grilled Vegetables from Kalyn’s Kitchen
56. Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges with Spicy Adobo Greek Yogurt Sauce from Eighty Twenty
57. Pesto-Topped Grilled Summer Squash from Eating Well
58. Tofu Greek Salad with Char-Grilled Vegetables, Rocket & Pistachios from Greek Vegetarian
59. Homemade Baba Gannoush: grill the eggplants to give it the flavor it deserves!
Grilled Rosemary Garlic Potatoes from Virtually Homemade
60. Eggplant Steak with Chickpeas, Roasted Red Peppers, Feta Cheese & Black Olives from Vegetarian Times
61. Grilled Tofu Tacos with Avocado Crema from those cute kids at Love and Lemons
62. Grilled Eggplant With Herbed Quinoa from Sprouted Kitchen
63. Bring the grilling inside with Grilled Tofu and Soba Noodles from 101 Cookbooks.
64. Ever tried endive? The First Mess gives us a place to start: Farro with Grilled Endive.
65. Simple, awesome: Grilled Corn, Mushroom And Poblano Tacos from How Sweet Eats
66. One of the most interesting recipes from their book, Green Kitchen Stories offers us Portobello and Peach Burgers.
67. Kebobs from Naturally Ella: Cilantro-Lime Marinated Veggie Kabobs With Barley Kale Salad.
68. I love everything that Isa does, especially Curry Tofu Tacos with Pinto Beans and Kale Slaw.
69. Sprouted Kitchen does grilling right with Grilled Asparagus With Cilantro Pepita Pesto.
70. More grilled peaches! Love and Lemons makes a Grilled Peach Salad with Mint Pesto.
71. Grilled Kale Salad with Ricotta and Plums from Bon Appetit.com
72. Grilled Vegetable, Bean and Wheat Berry Salad from Angela over at Oh She Glows.
74. The gorgeous Green Kitchen Stories created this fancy Involtini de Melanzane (Eggplant Rolls) from
75. Tandoori Grilled Broccoli and Cauliflower Kebabs from Veggie Belly
76. Sweet Chili Eggplant and Arugula Salad from Toronto blogger extraordinaire The First Mess
77. Summer Squash Tacos with Avocado Chimichurri Sauce from Cookie and Kate
78. More goodness from The First Mess: Grilled Fennel and Quinoa Salad.
79. Grilled Asparagus and Chili Orange Quinoa Spring Rolls from Naturally Ella
80. Grilled Cumin-Lime Zucchini Quesadillas from Naturally Ella
81. Grilled Brussels Sprouts from Food52
82. Vegan Grain Burgers avoid the mushy-middle problem that bogs down so many veggie burgers. Make sure to bake the patties in the oven for 15 minutes before grilling so that they don’t fall apart.
83. Veggie Burgers – In my estimation, a veggie burger shouldn’t try to taste like meat. Instead, enjoy the beans, grains, and veggies that make a good, wholesome veggie burger!
84. Grilled Portobello Mushrooms – You can enjoy a grilled ‘shroom on its own or on a bun with all of the fixin’s! I like mine topped with grainy mustard, a thick slice of heirloom tomato, and lots of avocado. This is a good basic recipe, though I’d use olive oil instead of canola.