This was a staff favorite- loved by all my coworkers at a ‘locally-grown dinner party’ cooking class. We’re pretty lucky here in Hawaii, because we have a vast array of produce that is available almost all year; tomatoes are no exception. Make this when summer tomatoes are at their peak- or when you come visit us in Hawaii.
There is something really magical about the sweetness of the roasted tomatoes- it’s really the best pasta sauce I’ve ever had. This is great kept thick and creamy for pasta or polenta, or thinned with broth for a creamy, comforting soup.
Roasted Tomato Soup & Sauce
24 oz cherry tomatoes, halved and seeded
½ cup coarsely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
fresh herbs for garnish, optional
1½ cups vegetable broth
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spread tomatoes, onions and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper and gently toss.
- Roast 30-40 minutes until the tomatoes have reduced to half their size and begin to brown. Remove and cool.
- For Sauce: Simply blend the tomatoes into a creamy, thick sauce. Thin as needed with broth or water. Serve with pasta or as a sauce for polenta.
- For Soup: Warm the broth and tomato paste on low heat. Add all ingredients from the roasting pan into the broth and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Pour into your food processor and blend until smooth.
- Return soup back to the pot. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve warm or cold with gorgeous green salad and crusty bread.
Yield: 1-2 cups sauce; 3-4 cups soup