If the Cauliflower Fried ‘Rice’ was not enough chou fleur for you, here is a gorgeous, autumn-themed roasted vegetable casserole. This dish is easy to put together, quick to cook, and delicious to eat. Sweet Kabocha pumpkin is paired with cauliflower and a hempmilk sauce for a creamy, cozy side dish or main dish. To learn more about hemp, read our post about the health benefits of hemp. You could also use soymilk or coconut here, if you wish.
Pumpkin and Cauliflower Gratin
4 cups cubed kabocha pumpkin
2 cups chopped cauliflower
¼ cup thinly sliced red onions
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon tamari
1 cup unsweetened hempmilk
½ teaspoon each dried thyme and black pepper
1 Tablespoon potato starch or organic cornstarch
½ cup fresh, chopped basil
- Preheat oven to 400º. Add kabocha, cauliflower, red onion, and garlic into a 9×13 baking dish.
- Drizzle olive oil and tamari onto vegetables, and toss to coat. Bake for 30 minutes, or until pumpkin is fort-tender.
- Meanwhile, mix hempmilk, thyme, pepper and starch in a small bowl. Stir to dissolve starch.
- When vegetables are finished cooking, pour milk mixture over the vegetables and toss to coat. Add fresh basil.
- Bake for another 10 minutes. Stir gently, and let stand for a few minutes before serving.
Yield: 4-6 small servings
Leave a Reply