If you are the type of person that loves a good hearty breakfast (or brunch) than this is the recipe for you! Lots of creamy tofu, awesome Field Roast vegan sausage, and enough veggies to make it feel very wholesome! This Vegan Sausage and Tofu Scramble also makes a great workday lunch in a wrap or atop some grains. As an added bonus, this recipe is approved for avowed tofu haters- even my mama liked this recipe!
Vegan Sausage and Tofu Scramble
3-4 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
½ cup finely chopped onion
1½ cups chopped mushrooms
1 (14-ounce) package extra firm tofu
¼ cup nutritional yeast
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon each dried thyme, coriander, dried turmeric, and sea salt
1-2 Tablespoons water
1 cup shredded or grated carrot
1 (10-12-ounce) package vegan sausage
4 cups fresh spinach
- Heat 2 Tablespoons oil in a skillet until warm. Add onions and sauté for a few minutes. Add mushrooms. Cook for five more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Crumble tofu into pan (some large chunks are okay) and cook for 15 minutes to slightly brown tofu, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, whisk together nutritional yeast, lemon juice, soy sauce, spices, and salt. Stir in a few Tablespoons water.
- Drizzle lemon mixture over tofu and stir well. The tofu should be coated with the nutritional yeast and a little bit sticky. Add in the grated carrot and stir to combine. Remove from heat and turn out into a large bowl.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Crumble sausage into pan and cook until just browned, about 10 minutes. Add tofu mixture back to pan, then toss in spinach, stirring to combine. Cook until the spinach is just wilted.
- Serve with rice, wraps, or alongside pancakes and good coffee! Enjoy!
Yield: 6-8 servings