If the weather outside is frightful, this cozy, spicy meal will warm your heart and soul. Lots of vegetables, hearty udon noodles, and a homemade curry sauce featuring curry paste, peanut butter, and coconut will bring warmth to any day.
Vegetable Curry Noodle Soup
1 (8-oz) package udon noodles
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
½ cup very thinly sliced red onion
1 cup thinly sliced shitake mushrooms
1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1 Tablespoon fresh grated turmeric
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (13.6-oz) can coconut milk
¼ cup peanut butter
3-4 Tablespoons red curry paste
½ cup vegetable broth
1 cup carrots, sliced into matchsticks
1 cup bok choy stems, chopped finely
1 cup red pepper, thinly sliced
2 cups greens (reserved bok choy leaves, spinach, etc.)
Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse in cool water, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat coconut oil. Add onions and cook until just soft. Add mushrooms, ginger, turmeric, and garlic and cook for five more minutes, or until mushrooms soften.
- In a small bowl, whisk together red curry paste and peanut butter with a few Tablespoons coconut milk until smooth. Add curry mixture, remaining coconut milk, and vegetable broth into the skillet. Stir to blend.
- Add carrots, bok choi, and red pepper and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat, and cook until vegetables are soft, about five minutes. Add greens and stir to wilt.
- Divide noodles between 3 or 4 bowls. Ladle curry vegetable sauce over noodles until noodles are swimming in sauce. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.
Yields: 3-4 servings