Perhaps you think divine is too grand a word for such a humble cookie, but these vegan cookies are a great example of how it’s often the simple things that can bring the greatest joy.
Made with ground walnuts, whole-grain spelt flour, dried fruit, coconut oil, and maple syrup, these cookies are a wholesome treat that is super easy to make. I found the original on Oh She Glows (named ‘the ultimate oatmeal cookie!’). I have adapted the recipe oh-so-slightly to make it my own and add some more goodies like flaxseeds, dried ginger, and orange zest to give it a little somethin’ special!
The Best Vegan Oatmeal Cookies
2 cups walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts
2 cups whole oats, divided
¾ cup whole-grain spelt flour
½ cup sucanat, brown sugar or natural cane sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon each cinnamon and dried ground ginger
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup ground flaxseeds
¼ cup plant-based milk
¼ cup pure maple syrup
¼ cup coconut oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 cup raisins or zante currants
- Preheat oven to 350º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add nuts to food processor and pulse until finely ground. Add 1 cup oats, flour, sugar, baking soda, spices, and salt. Pulse again to break up oats.
- In a small bowl whisk the flaxseeds with the plant milk until gooey. Add maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, and orange zest. Whisk until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients into liquid ingredients along with remaining oats and raisins. Mix to combine.
- Using slightly damp hands, roll one heaping Tablespoon of dough into a ball, then press onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet, then move to cooling racks.
Yield: about 30 cookies
Yum! Those DO look divine… I will have to make them this weekend :-)