Gooey, chocolatey brownie awesomeness is now yours! These vegan Sweet Potato Brownies recipe is definitely my favorite vegan brownie recipe ever… and I think they will be your new favorite recipe too!
The secret to this recipe– and vegan baking in general– is having an ingredient that’s going to stick everything together and give your baked goods the right texture. Bananas and pumpkin are great options, and sweet potato is super good too! This recipe calls for canned sweet potatoes (for consistency) but you can also experiment with boiled or steamed fresh sweet potato. This vegan brownie recipe is easy to put together with some pantry staples: all-purpose flour, cocoa powder and whatever mix-ins you like. This recipe features Enjoy Life! chocolate chunks (cause they’re awesome!) and chopped walnuts, but almonds, hazelnuts, peanut butter chips or more would work just perfectly here too.
Sweet Potato Brownies
¾ cup sweet potato purée (canned or homemade)
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup liquid coconut oil + more to grease pan
¼ cup cocoa powder
2 Tablespoons brewed coffee (or water)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup chocolate chips or chunks
½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350º. Prepare an 8”x8” baking dish by greasing the sides with coconut oil. Line parchment paper on the bottom.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sweet potato, brown sugar, ¼ cup coconut oil, cocoa powder, coffee, vinegar and vanilla.
- In another large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Pour dry mixture into the liquid mixture and whisk until smooth and creamy. Add in chocolate chips and walnuts and stir briefly to combine. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for 15 minutes, then remove from pan and continue cooling before slicing. Enjoy!
Yield: 12- 16 Brownies