Published on April 25th, 2013 | by Andrea Bertoli2
Homemade Gluten-Free Veggie Burgers
Veggie burgers make for quick lunches and dinners (and great last-minute potluck foods) but they can be really expensive at the store. For a long time I’ve been looking for a simple, delicious burger to keep on hand, but one without too many weird ingredients or gluten. These little burgers are the solution. These Homemade Gluten-Free Veggie Burgers are vegan or vegetarian, and are super easy to make, though you do have to bust out the food processor. They freeze well for future quick meals. I hope you love them as much as we do.
Gluten-Free Black Bean Burgers
1½ cups black beans
1½ cups minced fresh mushrooms
¾ cup rolled oats
1¼ cups cooked quinoa
½ cup ground walnuts
½ cup shredded carrots
1 teaspoon each: sea salt, black pepper, basil and thyme
2 Tablespoons tahini
1 Tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350º and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add black beans, mushrooms, oats, quinoa, walnuts, carrots and spices to food processor. Pulse until just combined. Add in tahini, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke (if using) and pulse again, until any big chunks are broken.
- Turn out bean mixture into a large bowl.
- Measure ¼ cup of mixture and form into a patty with your hands. The mixture should yield 10-12 patties. Form your entire bean mixture into patties before cooking.
- Line patties onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Flip all patties, then bake for another 5-10 minutes, until center is firm to the touch and browned on the outside.
- Serve with your favorite buns and burger accompaniments, or let cool completely and freeze for a few months. Enjoy!
Yield: 10-12 Veggie Burgers