Published on July 23rd, 2013 | by Andrea Bertoli3
Creamy Almond-Hemp Dressing + Awesome Tips for Coleslaw
This Creamy Almond-Hemp Dressing is so easy, and so delicious and SO HEALTHY, it just might become your favorite food. It features some of our favorite ingredients: almonds, ginger, turmeric and hempseeds, which might be new to you! These teeny seeds blend into the dressing seamlessly and add a nice, creamy flavor.
This dressing can be used as a dip for veggies, as a sauce for noodles, or as the most amazing salad dressing ever. I like it best with a cabbage-based salad. I use the words ‘cabbage-based salad’ because ‘coleslaw’ just doesn’t do it justice. When I think of coleslaw, it’s usually a mushy pile of cabbage covered in mayonaisse, maybe with some other veggies tossed in for color. But the coleslaw we eat here is very different: vibrant carrots, dandelion greens, all varieties of kale, nuts and seeds, and of course, lots of cabbage. Lest you think cabbage salad is boring, check out these tips for coleslaw that might just make it your new favorite salad meal.
Here’s the best tips for coleslaw:
- Slice your cabbage as finely as possible, making 3-4 inch strands. This texture is fun and light, too small and it gets mushy, to big and it’s too crunchy.
- Mix up the colors: always include a bit of purple cabbage with the green to make it pretty (and to eat your daily rainbow!)
- Add dark greens too: massage some kale, add some finely sliced dandelion greens, or some fresh herbs for color, flavor and texture variations.
- Add other shredded veggies too: carrots, cucumber, red pepper and more go a long way to making a beautiful salad.
- The best tip for eating more greens: make a huge bowl of this coleslaw and eat it all week long in all your meals– but don’t dress it yet! Keep greens and salads separate until just before serving.
Creamy Almond-Hemp Dressing
½ cup natural almond butter
¼ cup hempseeds
2-4 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons miso
1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1 Tablespoon fresh grated turmeric
1 teaspoon honey
Water, as needed for texture
- Whisk all ingredients together until smooth, adding water as needed to smooth out texture. Pour generously over salad and enjoy!