Published on July 30th, 2013 | by Andrea Bertoli6
Incredible Nut & Seed Gluten-Free Bread Recipe
This bread is not really a bread, but it is some of the best food to come out of my kitchen in a long time! I found this recipe on My New Roots; Sarah B. called this bread life-changing bread, and it’s pretty true to its name.
Using a base of nuts, seeds and oats, this gluten-free bread recipe changes the idea of what healthy bread can be– for the better. It’s infinitely adaptable and easy to make. If you have a moderately well-stocked pantry, I bet you can do it right now! The psyllium husk is super important here, so don’t skip it. Read Sarah’s explanation of it and why it can be so beneficial here in this article.
Nut and Seed Bread
1½ cups rolled oats
1 cup sunflower seeds
½ cup flax seeds
½ cup chopped hazelnuts
¼ cup psyllium seed husks
2 Tablespoons chia seeds
1 teaspoon sea salt
1½ cups water
3 Tablespoons coconut or olive oil
1 Tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon each rosemary, dried garlic, and caraway seeds
¼ cup currants or raisins
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Coconut sugar for garnish
Note that this recipe needs to rest for a few hours or overnight before being baked.
- Line a 9×5 inch bread pan with parchment paper (unless you have an awesome non-stick or silicone pan). Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together water, oil, and honey (whisk in savory or sweet additions if using). Add to dry ingredients and stir thoroughly to combine; mixture will be a little bit soggy. Pour into bread pan and smooth top. Cover, and let rest overnight at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake bread for 20 minutes. Carefully flip bread directly onto oven rack and bake for another 40-45 minutes, until very browned on outside, and sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool completely before slicing or freezing.
- Serve with spreads, jams or butter. Enjoy!