Seriously friends, this is one of the best enchilada recipes to ever come out of my kitchen. I’ve made veggie enchiladas before using a similar recipe, but this healthy, vegan recipe beats out the others easily because of the mix of a creamy vegan sauce made from Daiya cream cheese, nutritional yeast and (secret ingredient!) pumpkin! The combo of the cheezy sauce and the red sauce is stellar; the texture is spot on and it doesn’t get icky as leftovers. Ready to indulge your little tastebuds?
Cheezy Vegan Enchiladas
2 Tablespoons olive oil
½ cup diced red onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
½ cup vegetable broth
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons each chili powder, oregano and honey
1 teaspoon each coriander, cumin and liquid smoke (or smoked salt)
½ cup vegan cream cheese
½ cup pumpkin puree
¼ cup nutritional yeast
¼ cup water (more as needed)
1 cup finely chopped broccoli
1 cup finely chopped cauliflower
1 cup corn kernals
2 cups cooked black beans
8-10 flour tortillas
- For the Enchilada Sauce: Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft. Lower heat and add remaining Sauce ingredients. Simmer for 15 minutes, until mixture thickens. Set aside to cool.
- To make the Cheezy Sauce: Whisk together cream cheese, pumpkin and nutritional yeast until smooth. Stir in water to make a smooth but thick sauce.
- To make the Enchiladas: Add broccoli, cauliflower and corn to a large skillet. Cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes until just starting to soften, stirring constantly; add 1 Tablespoon water if vegetables are sticking.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked vegetables, black beans and Cheezy Sauce (reserve ½ cup).
- Preheat oven to 375º. Dip one side of tortilla into Enchilada Sauce. Spoon about ½ cup of the veggie/bean mixture into the sauce-side of tortilla. Roll tightly and place folded side down in a 9 x 13 pan. Roll all enchiladas, and then cover with remaining red sauce. Spread on remaining Cheezy Sauce. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool before serving. Makes 4-6 servings.