This month the world lost a true leader. We are privileged indeed to have witnessed his work in our lifetime. So instead of mourning his demise we are celebrating his life; surely Mr. Mandela would not have had it any other way.
Despite the travails unleashed upon him, he proved to be an exemplary role model for the world, motivating and inspiring generations. Here are a few of his quotes on life and living that I hope resonate in your hearts:
- There is no passion to be found in settling for a life less than the one you are capable of living.
- It always seems impossible until it is done.
- Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world.
- We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right.
- Live life as though nobody is watching and express yourself as though everyone is listening.
- Tread softly, breathe peacefully, laugh hysterically.
- The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
- I have always believed that exercise is the key not only to physical health but to peace of mind.
- Do not judge my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.
- The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
These, and many other equally motivating quotes by Mandela, can be found in his book – Nelson Mandela by Himself: The Authorised Book of Quotations. By purchasing from NelsonMandela.org you can ensure your contribution goes directly towards his Foundation and the continuation of the good work he cared about during his lifetime.
The Nelson Mandela Foundation was born to serve as Mandela’s post-presidential office and provided the base for his charitable work, covering a wide range of endeavors, from building schools to HIV-AIDS work, to research into education in rural areas to peace and reconciliation interventions. Today, the foundation is an organization focused on memory, dialogue and legacy work. The Centre of Memory focuses on three areas of work: the Life and Times of Nelson Mandela, Dialogue for Social Justice and Nelson Mandela International Day. The Centre works closely with its sister organizations – the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund and The Mandela Rhodes Foundation. It coordinates its activities with those of other institutions that have a stake in its Founder’s legacy, including the Nelson Mandela Children’s Hospital, the Nelson Mandela Museum and the Robben Island Museum.