This deliciously sweet vegan coffee cake brings together the brightness of blueberries and lemon, which might be lacking in the heavy December weather. The rich flavor, dense crumb and sprinkling of crunchy poppyseeds make it a lovely treat alongside a cup of tea, herbal coffee, or actual coffee, whether you can enjoy in the sunshine or not!
A beautiful vegan coffee cake for homemade, wholesome snacking anytime of year!
Vegan Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake
¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
¼ cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon ground ginger
¼ cup poppyseeds
⅓ cup Earth Balance margarine, melted
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon zest
1 cup vanilla-flavored soymilk
⅓ cup coconut, safflower or canola oil
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup turbinado sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest or lemon extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350º and grease an 8×8-inch square baking pan (or 9-in springform pan) with a pinch of Earth Balance.
- For the Crumble topping: Mix together whole wheat pastry flour, brown sugar, ginger, and ¼ cup poppyseeds. Pour in melted Earth Balance and stir until combined. Add blueberries and stir very gently. Set aside.
- For the Cake: In a large bowl whisk together soymilk, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix together all-purpose flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in milk mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Pour cake mixture into prepared pan. Top evenly with Crumble Topping.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool before cutting and serving. Serve warm or keep in an airtight container for a few days.
Yields: 12-16 servings
Leave a Reply