Another week in quarantine means another week of #quarantinecooking with my friends at Oahu Fresh! Check out my other videos (and see new ones each week) here on Oahu Fresh’s Instagram TV. Find the other Oahu Fresh featured recipes here.
This week we’re cooking up sweet potatoes (watch the Sweet Potato Salad cooking video here). Sweet potatoes are an awesome root veggie to include in your diet and it’s extra cool because we grow tons of different kinds of potatoes here in Hawaii. I’ve made this with bright purple Okinawan sweet potatoes, regular yellow/orange sweet potatoes, and white sweet potatoes. All of them are great and yummy, though if I HAD to choose, I’d vote for the purple potatoes because, you know, purple!
You’ll get a variety of sweet potatoes in your bag this week so you can make this with whatever kine you get.
A few notes before you get started:
- No need to peel your potatoes: the skins are edible and nutritious and saves you time and reduces food waste. WIN WIN WIN.
- If you don’t have the time or inclination to create the Cashew Miso Mayo, make this salad with your favorite mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise a tahini dressing would be yummy too.
- All veggies are optional! I like to use the ones listed in the recipe below, but you could also add fresh chopped spinach, cilantro, chopped hardboiled eggs, or whatever else feels like it might fit.
- This salad keeps for a few days, however, it’s going to be the most vibrant if you keep the dressing and veggies separate until just before serving.
- Make a double batch of the sauce and use for noodles, grain bowls, dipping for veggies and more!
- As I mentioned in my video, this recipe is from my COOKBOOK! I’m offering Oahu Fresh subscribers a BIG discount for the e-book (PDF). Learn more here!
Purple Potato Salad with Cashew Mayo
½ cup cashews, soaked for one hour
2 Tablespoons miso, any type
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon prepared Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey or agave
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup unsweetened plant-milk of choice (add more for texture)
2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, any type
½ cup shredded carrots
½ fresh chopped dill
½ cup minced celery
¼ cup minced red onion
- To Make the Cashew Miso Mayo: Drain cashews and add to food processor or blender with miso, olive oil, mustard, honey, black pepper, and plant milk. Blend until very smooth, adding more milk if needed for texture. Add salt and/or more pepper to taste. This can be made a few days ahead of time.
- To make the Potato Salad: Rinse and chop potatoes into 1-inch chunks and add to a large pot. Cover potatoes water and boil until just soft, about 7-10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in colander, rinse with cool water, and let drain completely.
- To a large bowl add the cooled potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion. Toss gently to combine.
- Pour Cashew Miso Mayo over vegetables and toss gently. Serve immediately. Store any extra mayo in fridge for up to a week.
Yield: 4-6 small servings
Check out some of my other Sweet Potato Recipes:
- Sweet Potato Brownies (these are my go-to brownie recipe!)
- Sweet Potato & Cauliflower Soup
- Healing Pumpkin Soup (can swap Sweet Potatoes)