This week for Oahu Fresh we’re cooking with one of the most overlooked veggies – something you likely have hiding in your refrigerator right now — carrots! This quick carrot salad recipe is an oldie-but-goodie: a simple preparation of a common veggie that becomes extraordinary with some simple preparation.
A friend made a version of this dish at a potluck once, and it’s been on rotation in my kitchen for years. Carrot salads originate in either Morocco or Israel, depending on your source. Traditionally made with some spicy harissa sauce or chilies, it’s often served cold as a sweet-spicy accompaniment to meals.
I’m going to skip the spices in this recipe and instead play up the bright sweetness of the carrots with fresh cilantro, leafy greens, and a zesty Ginger-Lime Dressing. My original version of this salad features a Sesame & Cumin dressing for a more savory, rich flavor — check out that version here.
For either version of this yummy salad, you can serve in a variety of ways:
- Eat as is – it’s a delicious salad or side dish;
- Add to cooked grains, like quinoa or rice, for a quick grain/veggie salad;
- Serve in lettuce cups as ‘tacos’ for a fully raw meal;
- Add to a wrap or sandwich for a delicious layer of flavor; or
- Serve on a Mediterranean mezze platter with pita bread, veggie sticks, dates, hummus, Romesco sauce, and baba gannoush
And just in case you need another push to enjoy more carrots in your life, click over to my article on Eat Drink Better to learn more about the health benefits of carrots — a humble, everyday superfood.
Carrot Salad with Ginger & Lime Dressing
3 cups shredded carrots
1 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 cup finely chopped fresh spinach or fresh kale (massaged)
2 Tablespoons minced red onion (optional)
Ginger & Lime Dressing
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ fresh lime juice (about two limes) – can also use lemon
¼ cup minced dates, figs, or raisins
1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon tamari, soy sauce, or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- In a large bowl, toss together carrots, cilantro, spinach (or kale), and onion (if using). Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, dried fruits, grated ginger, apple cider vinegar, and tamari. Whisk to combine – be sure to separate the bits of fruit if they are sticky.
- Just before serving, drizzle dressing over salad and toss to combine. Keep dressing and salad separate until just before serving to keep greens bright.
Yield: 6-8 side servings of salad
See my Sesame-Cumin version of this recipe by clicking the image below: