This Lemongrass Tofu recipe is a classic recipe that I’ve been making for years. Each I make this recipe, I remind myself to make it MORE OFTEN! It’s SO GOOD!
The unexpected flavor of lemongrass, which grows abundantly here in the islands, and overall ease of preparation, makes for a fun and yummy meal. For this updated version, I added fresh bok choy and locally-grown herbs like Thai basil and mint (cilantro would be excellent here, too!) to my original Lemongrass Tofu recipe, and served with very thin rice noodles for these beautiful and delicious noodle bowls. For more bok choy inspiration, see my Super Fresh Bok Choy Salad, which would paid wonderfully with this meal.
For more information and details about how to prepare and use fresh lemongrass, see my pictures and tutorial here.
Lemongrass Tofu + Bok Choy Noodle Bowls
2 lemongrass stalks, minced finely
2 Tablespoons soy sauce (tamari, Bragg’s, or vegan fish sauce works too)
2 teaspoons sugar (any type – I like coconut sugar)
1 teaspoon dried chili flakes (or 1 fresh Thai chili)
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 (12-14 ounce) block of super firm tofu, chopped into squares
3 Tablespoons oil (peanut or coconut is best), divided
½ cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup chopped fresh Thai basil, more for garnish
¼ cup fresh chopped mint, more for garnish
1-2 cups chopped fresh Bok Choy, mustard greens, kale, or spinach
Thai or Vietnamese-style rice noodles, cooked and cooled according to package directions
- In a large bowl mix together minced lemongrass, soy sauce, sugar, chilies, and turmeric. Stir together to coat the lemongrass, and then add tofu. Toss together, and allow the tofu to marinate for half hour up to six hours.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet. Add onions, and cook for about five minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic, and cook until just browned.
- Add tofu mix to the skillet, and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until it starts to brown.
- Turn off the heat and add fresh herbs. Remove tofu from the pan.
- Add remaining 1 Tablespoon of oil to the skillet, and add bok choy (or other leafy greens) to the skillet. Cook for just about 1 minute, until just softened. Add vegetables to the tofu mixture and stir to combine.
- To build the bowls: add rice noodles to bowl or plate, then top with tofu mixture. Add extra herbs and/or fresh lime for garnish. Enjoy immediately.
- The tofu will keep for a few days in the refrigerator, but rice noodles don’t usually stay fresh.
Yield: About 4 servings