This bright green potato salad featuring arugula, fresh dill, and a bright dijon dressing is a big upgrade from a traditional, mayonnaise soaked potato salad. The tangy dijon dressing and sprinkling of green is what makes it vaguely inspired by French-style potato salads, which are also perfect for these super hot months on Oahu.
This salad is super simple, and so very lovely during these Summer nights!
I chose to use arugula here, however, you can also choose fresh spinach or even a bed of massaged kale (see our video here to get the tips for best massage practice). And I added some pickled carrots that we made in last week’s video! I also loved using the whole seed mustard here, and it’s inspired me to make my own pickled mustard seeds, so look for that in future videos!
This recipe, like many others I’ve created, can be made larger or smaller, depending on who you’re serving. The ingredient measures below are for about 3-4 servings of salad. Finally, if you’re going to wait to serve this salad, dress it only before serving so that the greens don’t wilt. This would also be excellent with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese or toasted sunflower seeds.
Bright Green French-Style Potato Salad
2 small yellow potatoes, chopped into large chunks
4 – 6 cups fresh baby arugula or chopped spinach
1 cup chopped fresh dill
Fresh or pickled carrots, added to taste
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon whole-seed mustard (or prepared dijon mustard)
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey (optional)
Generous pinch of salt
Lots of fresh ground black pepper
- Add chopped potatoes to a large saucepan. Cover with water, add a few pinches of salt. Bring to a boil, and cook until fork-tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, and to cool rapidly, rinse with cold water. Drain again, and set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together arugula, dill, carrots (if using), and cooled potatoes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Pour over salad, and serve immediately.
Yield: 3-4 servings