This week we’re cooking one of Hawaii’s favorite veggies–bok choy! This adorable and nutritious cousin to kale and collards is lovely because it works like two veggies in one: a crunchy, sturdy stalk topped with silky, soft greens. In this recipe we’re highlighting both parts of the vegetable and pairing it with some vegan chicken.
I love fake meat, sometimes called meat analogs. These are not foods I eat often (I prefer tofu, tempeh, and beans), but they add a lot variety to my meals and sometimes feel really satisfying. Compared to 30 years ago when I first became a vegetarian, the faux meats have improved exponentially, and there are so many great options out there for consumers now. For this recipe I used Tofurkey brand Lightly Seasoned Chick’n, but there are great options from tons of other brands that would work well here, too. This product contains gluten, as do many faux meats, so I made a tofu version of this recipe for my gluten-free sweetheart.
This zesty ginger sauce is easy to make, and you can double or triple the batch, and save it it your refrigerator for weeks, just warming as needed (to thicken) before using in tons of other recipes. It would be great with soba or udon noodles or, with other mixed veggie stir-fries.
See all my other Oahu Fresh recipes here (featuring eggplant, sweet potato, kale, zucchini, tomatoes, Kabocha pumpkin, breadfruit, and more). For the Instagram video archive, check out the Oahu Fresh Instagram TV.
Ginger Sesame Bok Choy with Vegan Chicken
Ginger Sesame Sauce
¼ cup raw sesame seeds
¼ cup soy sauce, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, or Coconut Aminos
2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon starch (potato, corn, tapioca)
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1-2 Tablespoons fresh grated ginger
1-2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
Vegan Chicken & Vegetables
1, 8-ounce package vegan chicken, unseasoned (or extra-firm tofu)
2 Tablespoons avocado oil + more as needed
1 cup thinly sliced onion
2-3 cups finely chopped bok choy, stems and greens separated
2-3 cups fresh greens (including the bok choy greens, or add additional greens like spinach, kale, cilantro, etc.)
1/2 cup diced green onions (for garnish)
To make the Ginger Sesame Sauce:
- In a dry skillet, toast sesame seeds until just barely toasted and fragrant. Remove from pan, and set aside.
- Whisk together all sauce ingredients in a small mixing bowl, ensuring that starch is totally dissolved.
- Warm sauce over medium-low heat in a saucepan or deep skillet, whisking continuously until sauce thickens.
- Once thickened, turn off heat and set aside.
- Tip: Make a double or triple batch and keep in the fridge! Warm up 1/2 cup at a time to quickly sauce up your meals.
To make the Chicken & Vegetables
- Break apart chicken pieces as needed (or cube tofu)
- To a skillet add the oil and warm over medium heat. Add onions to skillet, and Cook until just starting to brown
- add bok choy stems and cook for 1-3 minutes. Once the stems soften slightly add chicken, and stir to combine.
- Cook the chicken or tofu until warmed through, then add bok choy greens and other greens, if using. Cook for just one minute to wilt the greens.
- Add the ginger sauce, and toss to combine.
- Garnish with green onions and top with toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately with coconut rice or brown rice. This would also be great as lettuce wraps!
- If you wish to serve as leftovers, keep the sauce separate as the vinegar in the sauce will wilt the greens.