Bridge the gap between seasons with this lovely, bright salad. The vibrant colors of winter beets paired with the lightness of the leafy greens is just magical. Topped with a pungent mustard-seed dressing and tangy feta, it’s a salad to enjoy all Spring long.
A note on the dressing here: I’ve used pickled mustard seeds here, but you could just as easily use French-style whole-seed mustard for the same effect. This dressing is rather sweet, so add a bit more vinegar if you want to balance it out.
See all my other Oahu Fresh recipes here (featuring eggplant, sweet potato, kale, zucchini, tomatoes, Kabocha pumpkin, breadfruit, and more). For the Instagram video archive, check out the Oahu Fresh Instagram TV.
Spring Equinox Salad
4 -6 cups mixed leafy greens (mixed lettuces and/or mild baby greens like spinach or arugula)
1 cup small-chopped beets
1 cup shredded fresh dill
1-2 carrots, ribboned (using a vegetable peeler)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons pickled Mustard seeds (I used this recipe)
1 Tablespoon apple cider or red wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon maple syrup
pinch of salt
¼ – ½ cup toasted pecans (or walnuts)
Feta or vegan feta, crumbled
- Toss together leafy greens and fresh dill in your largest bowl or platter. Set aside.
- In a skillet, add 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil. Warm over medium-low heat, then add beets.
- Cook for about 5-8 minutes until soft and bright pink.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Add cooked beets and let cool.
- Garnish salad with beets, nuts, and feta, then dress lightly. Mix together just before serving to keep colors and textures perfect.
Yield: 2-4 servings