This gorgeous noodle dish is full of bright green Spring and Summer flavors, and uses the humble and lovely carrot as the superstar.
I was inspired to combine carrots with pesto, but wanted something a bit different. So think of this as a deconstructed pesto: fresh basil, fresh parsley, and fresh cilantro in combination with macadamia nuts, Parmesan cheese, and a zesty orange and lemon dressing!
This recipe uses a special tool called a julienne slicer, which shreds the carrots into spaghetti shapes. You can also use a regular veggie peeler and slice those into thinner strips, or use a spiralizer. The ribbons are a fun shape and combine well with the noodles, but the flavors will taste awesome no matter what shape of carrot cut you choose.
Herb & Carrot Noodles
4-6 ounces pasta noodles of choice (spaghetti or linguine would be best here)
2 carrots, julienned or sliced
2 cups chopped fresh basil
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Zest from 1 orange
Juice, from half an orange (about ¼ cup)
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup olive oil
½ teaspoon each black pepper and sea salt
½ cup macadamia nuts, ground
½ cup Parmesan or vegan Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse to cool, and set aside.
- Slice or julienne the carrots; this should yield about 2 cups of shredded carrots
- Toss all carrots and chopped herbs in to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix together zest and juice from the orange, the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Drizzle this dressing over the carrots and herbs, and toss to combine.
- Add noodles to the bowl with nuts and cheese, and toss to combine again.
- Serve immediately for best taste and texture! If serving later, keep dressing separate to keep greens fresh.
Makes about 4-6 servings